In today's competitive market, a home that shows well is the difference between a few weeks on the market and six months.
It is not enough anymore to just put on a quick coat of paint and a good cleaning. There are other elements that buyers are looking for. These days, it could either be a warm feeling they get, or the look of space or comfort. Whatever it is, you need to inspire the buyer's imagination so they can picture themselves living there.
The three key rooms that you should focus on when staging to sale are the kitchen, master bedroom and family room.These three rooms have the highest expectations so they should have priority over the rest of the rooms.
The first top on the tour should have the most impact, whether it is the kitchen or the family room. Visitors should say "WOW!!!" as soon as they enter the house. This is your opportunity to capture their attention and curiousity to tour more of the house.
Here are some tips:
• Add a fireplace – this one element creates an inviting focal point with wow power. If you don't have an existing fireplace, electric is the way to go –and this change can be yours in a flash. Innovative companies like Dimplex, for example, offer a number of designer options for every décor style. The plug-and-play designs make installation a breeze.
• Paint – You've heard it before, a fresh coat of paint will give your rooms a clean, inviting look. White or neutral is a safe bet, but consider creating an accent wall surrounding your fireplace for real impact.
• Remnant rug – A new rug can warm up the room, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Check out carpet showrooms, as you will usually find remnants of carpet that have been bound. A neutral rug will help to ground the space.
• Accessories – Clean and modest is key. Simple groupings of pillows, candles and frames, and a throw will make the space appear polished, but lived in. Personal photos and half burnt candles are a no-no.
• Flowers – People love seeing live plants and flowers in the family room. It gives a sense of life and good energy.